Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Buxton Bag

It's been a while since this happened, but I was needing a new purse. I prepped everyone to start looking out for a good purse, a smaller one, that would help me keep my stuff organized. The girls were watching a show one day and called me in "Mom! Mom! You have to buy this purse, it is PERFECT for you!"

That's when it all started....The Buxton Bag. The Buxton bag can hold it all! It can even hold 2 full-sized water bottles after all your stuff is packed in there. It looks amazing, real leather and your hands are free to do all the great stuff that a mother of seven can only dream of. This purse lady is smooth too, you have to see how sleek she is with the Buxton, her hands, the shoulder strap, everything! I was totally sold, yet could not imagine buying anything from off the TV. I never have, Tyler never, never would.

The Buxton bag continued to haunt me. We watched the commercial about 10 times together and I finally decided to get it. I told all the kids to get the number for me if they happened to see the commercial and it never came on anymore. What a bummer.

One night Tyler and I were in our room watching a movie and I was feeding Trevor. The Buxton bag was back!! "Tyler run and get my credit card and the phone!" This was a big deal. Tyler flew through the hall as fast as he could and started rummaging through my ridiculous purse, normally he refuses to get anything out of there. Yeah, I was so excited to get my new Buxton bag and the kids knew it would be coming one of these days in the favored big brown UPS truck.

Then the day finally came, like 6 weeks later. We waited forever. The UPS truck arrived and we all sat around the kitchen table, opened the box and celebrated the new arrival. Thirty bucks for a piece of leather that looks like plastic! The inside is lined with nylon lining! And a tag that says made in China. What a joke. I could see these things hanging all over Wall-Mart. How could I hide my disappointment? After all the build-up, no one can know that I HATE the Buxton. I showed the whole family a great display of what the Buxton bag can hold and do. Inside my angry little heart I couldn't believe how deceiving the Buxton lady was. This purse is horrible. It looks like a belly bag with a shoulder strap. I don't even want to use it, ever!

I made Tyler believe I loved it without ever saying so. That night I went to enrichment night. I told the story to some friends and shared my deepest regrets for my foolish purchase. I imagined my true regrets getting back to my family, so I came home and spilled it all. It was a sad ending to the Buxton Bag. I think Sara is going to try to sell it at our next garage sell. She's gonna get big bucks for the Buxton. I will never fall for an info-mercial again. I hope.

14 comments:

Kim L. said...

Karen, You had me rolling. That is the best story ever. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany J said...

WOW I've actually seen that bag's infomercial and was amazed myself. What a rip! Hopefully you will find another purse soon!

Gabriela said...

:( So sorry, you had me excited for a minute until the dreaded arrival!

I don't know how you travel with 7 kids-I am truly amazed! And your kids all looked cute and their hair is brushed-dang. Kudo's to you.

J said...

Karen- have you considered a second career as a writer? You make me laugh so hard! Oh yes, we do love Los Hermanos, we go to the one in Lindon to avoid the college students in Provo.

Anonymous said...

oh Karen, how the mighty have fallen....

Jessica said...

Man, this is hilarious. I remember you telling us the story at Enrichment and I was just cracking up again reading it!

Kristie K. said...

I am so sorry it wasn't the purse of your dreams, it is hard when your whole family is excited! Good for you for coming clean and teaching your kids a good lesson. At least you got a good story out of it.

Grady8080 said...

Did you have this at church on Sunday? I thought it looked lik it, but I didn't think you would know what I was talking about if I asked. Like when I tell people I had a donut man. (Like an ice cream man, but with donuts.)

Kristie K. said...

Don't believe Grady about the donut man, it was just a dream. One of his favorite dreams, but a dream...

Our family said...

Karen, that story was hilarious! Bart and I were laughing so hard. Sorry that it didn't turn out like you had hoped. I've seen that commercial and they make it look awesome!

Andrea said...

Karen, that is funny! Atleast you now know about infomercials!! Josh is such a sucker for them, I have to hide the credit card when one comes on, he believes everything! I know your going to get big bucks for that!

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing your experience!!! My kids have been telling me that I NEED that bag. I knew it had to be too good to be true...I'm not a purse carrier myself. Everything I need fits into my back pocket...and the floor of my car...and my kitchen counter...maybe I should buy your bag!?!

Clarkson said...

Oh my! I got an email from Petersens saying, "Check out Davis' blog. I laughed so hard about the mail order purse." I'm thinking "Did I miss that post? I was just on their blog." So, I revisit the Davis Family blog sight and read all about the buxton bag. I laugh. Then I go to watch t.v. while working on a little sewing project. What should come on t.v. - the fabulous buxton lady and her sweet bag! I just started to laugh. Your detailed descriptions started coming back to me. Yah - totally deceptive! Bad news though, I think you got jipped. This buxton lady said the bag was $19.99 plus, "If you order now you will recieve a free gift!" It was some thing you could talk into and record stuff, like a shopping list and then replay later while at the store. I'm thinking I just might buy the bag for that handy little gadget!

andreasmiley said...

I LOVE YOU!!!! your so cute!
Can you imagine how much joy and entertainment we provide Heavenly Father and Mother. It must be like when we watch our little sweeties try something and then it doesn't work out quite like they imagine and we just smile...

Thanks for sharing!