Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gizzards?

I'm at the store the other day looking for a deal on chicken, because chicken rules. Anyways, I see this big sign that says chicken gizzards and hearts. Huh? Okay, it sparked me a bit. I'm trying to figure out what the heck a gizz is. This old lady comes up and starts loading her cart with these packs of gizzies and a bunch of chicken liver. I'm watching her acting like a freak and I finally say "mam, I've never seen someone so hungry for gizzards. Will you teach me about them?". She tells me they're the best part of the chicken, and tells me how to fry em... hmm. Not a bad deal. What the heck? I start loading my cart like a freak.

I came home so stoked and gathered the kids around to tell them of my new wise and old friend and got them so excited for our new family find. Karen gives me that look, then starts busting up. I assured her that we will not share with those who mock.
Well, these things turned out to be a joke. They're like rubber. I finally googled what they are and that didn't help. I'm now thinking that old lady worked there and I got scammed. 1 pack down, 9 more left. Sheesh. These kids aren't helping a bit. It's all on my shoulders. I will finish the job and will not be defeated.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen and her bag, Tyler and his gizzards...what's going on over there?

Andrea said...

Oh my Tyler, that is funny!! I cant believe you bought so many and you didn't even know what they were!
By the way, Alana hasn't stopped looking for gublets! She finds the dirt hills all over and freaks out. Then today she finds one and starts telling me how to get them off it they climb on my leg "just put your head back mom and frisk really hard". Thanks for the memories!!

Tiffany J said...

We don't know that even after talking to a wise old women we would buy anything that had "gizzard" attached to it. Ha ha We do admire your willingness to try something new. Thanks for sharing this, we had ourselves a good laugh!

Grady8080 said...

What a crack up? I love how you involved the kids? They are going to have some fun stories to share about their family. I am just not sure if people will believe all of them.
I love that it is always an adventure at the Davis home.

shari berry bo-berry said...

You know, as crazy as it sounds, there are actually restaurants that are famous for their fried gizzards. Yes, it's true! I've seen it on the Food Network!!!

Totally nasty if you ask me!

April Cobb said...

Tyler, if that old lady started raving about how great her bridge club is, would you join? If she were loading up on prunes and shared her recipes with you, would you buy in bulk too? I mean, 9 packages? I would use them in Shepard's pie or mix them into stuffing. Then you can't really taste them so much. Or you could feed them to an opossum who visits your yard. You guys are so funny.

allypally said...

pssstt... don't tell Karen... you can use them as cat food! Give them to a neighbour with a cat and pretend you ate them all yourself. It's the only way out.

That post had me howling!

andreasmiley said...

Tyler how do you expect me to read your blog and not laugh? This is hillarious!
Your a nut!
I love it...I'm smilin' from ear to ear!